Sunday, July 20, 2008

pre-mourning

Been contemplating my own mortality a lot these days. Reading a thought provoking book about GOD (or lack thereof), and witnessing the downfall of a great 87 year old woman.

A few pearls of wisdom from this 87 year old powerhouse:
- Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.
- Play the lotto. (winning a million is the only thing left to do on her bucket list)
- Don't smoke.
- Awesome is the worst word in the English dictionary.
- Eat well, laugh often and enjoy life.

This is a woman who really feels as if she's had a good life. The hardest part now is that she's committed to a rehab facility and this will probably turn into a long term care situation. This is a woman who led a clean life. Didn't smoke. Hardly drank. Laughed a lot. I guess the thing I'm tortured by the most is she led a good life and this is how it's ending.

I think I'd rather go out with a bang. Maybe I'll live on the edge a little bit more so that some of my vices take me. Having all your faculties at 87 and having to push a button to request to use the bathroom/ get a pain pill is not my idea of living-well.

2 comments:

Auntie Pockets said...

I luv Nana!!! I say we take her to Vegas!!!! or San Diego.... She's a pistol...the quickest one around :) HUGS HUGS HUGS and MORE HUGS! I luv ya!

Auntie Pockets said...

I luv Nana!!! I say we take her to Vegas!!!! or San Diego.... She's a pistol...the quickest one around :) HUGS HUGS HUGS and MORE HUGS! I luv ya!