Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ice cream anti-social

What could be more friendly? Ice cream, balloons, kids? Today we attended a family event in our clubhouse as one last hurrah for those kids going back to school tomorrow (WOW..they go back early in the South).

As if we were magnets, the Grumps (grumpy family that we keep running into), pulled their golf cart right next to our minivan in the parking lot. First strike.

The event room was done really cute- Nat was excited. After a quick "Hi My Name is.." application we headed straight for the ice cream table. And then we stood uncomfortably for 20 minutes until we planned our escape.

I should really speak for myself. My hubby could talk to a wall and make a new friend, but something about this event just had me running for the hills. Natalie was more than friendly. Even tapped the severly crippled girl who joined her at her table to ensure she knew she was saying 'hello!' I scanned the room. Saw no familiar faces except for the Grumps (who I had enough with during swimming lessons this summer, and who I already know we'll be seeing at Ballet..argh).

I don't know what it is about making new friends in my 30s that bugs me out so much. For one thing, I feel like my friend quota is filled. I have family up the whazoo in our neighborhood, a good rapport with long-distance cousins, and some really close BFFs to rely on. Do I need to befriend these neighborhood moms and dads? Were there any in the room that were feeling as out of place as I was?

My only comfort was knowing that when we departed that my new bottle of wine should have chilled by now...

No comments: